Buff Orpington breeding

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by jjparke, Jun 12, 2008.

1. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    I just took in 2 BO roo's that the people couldn't keep in their neighborhood. They are currently 3.5 months old. How long until I can breed them?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Please read this first.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30851

After quarrantine you can put them with hens. But here is the thing - They are ready now to try and mate the hens but that doesn't mean they are fertile. You will have to test the fertility as you go along - crack open some eggs and look for the bullseye or incubate them for 3 or 4 days and look for veins to start growing.

Also, some hens won't squat for a new roo. They will have to earn their place with the hens. Young roosters can be intimidated by the older hens and left to cower and starve. Yes, hens can be very mean.

You should also know as roosters mature they get territorial with their hens and they can be very aggressive to another rooster. You will want to give them their own girls and their own pens. A few people have success keeping roosters together in a flock. Others don't. Those that don't end up with bloody fights.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by