1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff Orpington chick feather growth question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hungry hunter, Mar 21, 2016.

1. hungry hunter

hungry hunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    the Heart of Texas
    I thought I had read somewhere that male chicks can be slower in feather growth/development than females. I understand that there can be exceptions to the rule, but is this the case in Orpingtons?

Here are my 2 week old BOs. They are both very docile and friendly, but one has significantly more feathers than the other. They were purchased as straight run chicks from TSC. Do you think I have a hen and a roo? [​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The fast feathering female/slow feathering male thing does hold true for some breeds, but not Orpingtons. Sorry.

3. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I think u have a rooster on ur hands I have a one week old male chick that is far behind that feather growth

4. hungry hunter

hungry hunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    the Heart of Texas
    Thanks for the replies.

I would be ok with 1 hen/1 roo or 2 hens, but I'm not too crazy about 2 roosters. I was able to find a home for an "extra" roosters we get out of this batch of chicks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by