Buff Orpington chick question (Picts)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lilbirdee, Apr 8, 2009.

1. lilbirdee

lilbirdee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    So I finally got my 2 Buff Orpingtons this morning. So exciting! I wanted 2 because I love how they look and I have read a lot of great things about them on here.
    Anyway...I figured they would be identical and I'd have a hard time telling them apart. But I get home and take them out of their box and find that they are a little different. Now I am wondering if this is a normal thing, or does it mean something? Like one is a boy?
    One is a bit larger and lighter colored.
    Any opinions?
    [​IMG]

2. moonflowers

moonflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Well, I am new at this but if it makes you feel any better I got 3 BOs in and they are all a little different. One looks just like your dark one and another like your lighter one. My third is is even lighter. Looking at the TSC chicks (bc I can't help but look... [​IMG] my poor husband when we ever have more land [​IMG]) I can pick out some of the Buffs and they seem to vary as well. I was worried at first because I thought they'd all be dark and thought maybe I got some of the wrong breed but as their feathers are coming in they are all the lovely golden color and I am very excited.
    Of course, if there is some chicken expert on here who can tell me a certain color means a boy please do, I will have to prepare myself to be torn away from my little loves!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    i think it is normal it is way to early to tell, I had 13 of them many were diffrent in colours, but only two were boys.

4. kb010

kb010 Out Of The Brooder

Def. normal. I have 14 BO's, and I can tell you that they are all a little bit different from each other. Some are bigger, some are smaller, some are more personable, one has a spot on her head. No worries. This is normal. =]
    they are very cute, btw.

5. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    My BOs are a year old now and I can still tell them apart. Their personalities are all different, but they even look different. BTW, your babies are diabetically sweet cute.

6. chicktwit

chicktwit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    I have several buff orps & the hens can be different sizes & different shades of buff. Almost blond to reddish. I hope you enjoy them. They are among my favorite breeds of chickens. I've read they're great for beginners.

7. lilbirdee

lilbirdee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Oh man (sigh of relief) thanks everyone. That's what I needed to hear. My babies are normal.
    I can't wait to get over this new chicken-mom worry about everything phase.
    Although it is a bit better with this second batch. My first batch of 7 are 7 weeks old now. Of course I still stress about every new phase that they are going through too.
    Plus I've got 8 alpaca babies and a llama baby due this summer. Lord I'm gonna be a basket case.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have 2 BO chicks in my batch of 7 week olds. For mine, looks like the larger lighter one is roo, and the smaller darker one the pullet. Wonder if it will turn out this way for you, too. Maybe not.

9. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    They are so cute!!!!!!! [​IMG]

I hope that I get to get 2 on Friday. My last chance to get a BO. If this feed store gets in the wrong ones again then I am done getting chicks this year. I will have to think about next year and order from Ideal or somewhere like that.

Enjoy your new fluffys! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    what cuties! my 2 BO's are easy for me to tell apart bc Honey is a tad darker and fluffier than Goldie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by