Buff Orpington Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sanabria2020, Apr 5, 2016.

1. sanabria2020

sanabria2020 New Egg

Apr 3, 2016
    I have 2 buff orpington chicks that are 2 weeks of age. My question was which one is male/female. I notice that one is growing the hen-like tail feathering, but when they are adults the male isn't so different after all. Please comment

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I'm not sure what you answer you want. In general pullet chicks feather out more quickly than cockerels. At 3-4 months of age males begin to develop saddle feathers and red combs.

But at 2 weeks of age it can be tough to sex them. Pictures may help.

3. RHBRanch

RHBRanch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    North Dakota
    If I remember correctly when mine were that age roosters will have a darker comb and waddles. Also, if you look at the neck feathers the roosters will have very pointy feathers compared to the hens which are more rounded. In time you'll be able to differ the two apart as they age. I know I wanted to know right away when I first got mine but I wasn't sure until they were a few months old. It was harder for me because it turned out that my straight run that I ordered turned out to be all hens. It wasn't until I actual got a little rooster by accident in my black australopes that I realized the difference. They were about 3wks old when I knew my "hen" was a "roo". Hope this help.

4. sanabria2020

sanabria2020 New Egg

Apr 3, 2016
    Sure does! Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by