Buff Orpington chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Matt M, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Matt M

Matt M Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2016
    Iam knew to all this and was wondering when to start feeding my 8 BO tadle scraps.

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    What type of table scraps? You can feed them eggs and greens if chopped up fine at around 4-5 weeks.

3. Matt M

Apr 16, 2016
    Just the basic greens and meat and one has water pop what that from and is it okay. Tahnks

4. Matt M

Apr 16, 2016
    Also when can they go into the coop outside. They is no other chickens out there

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

When they are fully feathered they can go in the coop unless you are providing heat for them. Avoid salty snacks. And if they get other foods than chick starter, they need access to grit, dirt, sand or the likes of it.

6. Matt M

Apr 16, 2016
    How would I know if they are fully feathered and what does it mean when they have watery pop.

7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California

When they loose their baby fuzz and the fuzz is replaced with feathers. When all the fuzz is gone and feathers replace it they are fully feathered. Young chicks when their system is just starting up sometimes have watery stool. You might want to provide some beneficial bacteria ( probotics )into their water to give their system a good start. Mine had watery stool as well after I started the probotic within that week their stool firmed up and looks nice. I use probios for poultry. I only use about a half teaspoon PER WATERER. That has always worked well for me and my flock. Probotics can benefit adult hens as well but I think it greatly benefits the young chicks when their systems are just starting out. Also if they can get the beneficial bacteria to colonize in the gut they can actually fight against bad bacteria that may enter their little systems.it just really gives them a good start. Hope this helps. Best wishes to you and your flock :)

8. Matt M

Apr 16, 2016
    Thanks alot to all of you.

9. Matt M

Apr 16, 2016
    Can I put baking soda in there bedding when they are still chick. What will happen if they eat it (iam trying to cut down on the smell). Thanks

10. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    If they eat to much it could kill them, you could try putting in under the shavings?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by