Buff Orpington Comb...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fishandchix1, Oct 8, 2015.

1. fishandchix1

fishandchix1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2015
    Ocean City, Maryland
    I have 2 Buff Orpington hens, both the same age. One, who just started laying, has a much bigger comb and wattles. The other hen has a much smaller comb and basically no wattles, but her comb is rose red, as is the other ones. Is this just one maturing faster? Should I be worried? Any info is appreciated!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Pics would definitely help here. How old are your Buff Orpingtons? If they are at least 14 weeks old, the one with the smaller red comb is likely a pullet getting close to laying and the one with the larger red comb and wattles is likely a cockerel. However, without pics I can't be certain.

3. fishandchix1

fishandchix1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2015
    Ocean City, Maryland

Definitely both hens. The one with the big comb is laying and her sister just has a smaller comb

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Even if you know for sure that it's the one with the larger comb that is laying, I wouldn't be concerned. The one with the smaller comb is likely just maturing more slowly. Chickens are like people; they mature at different rates. :eek:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by