Buff Orpington crossed with.....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Corey NC, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    I have some eggs under my broody right now and I was wondering what are the likely colors that could come out.

The possibilities are -

Buff Orp and....

- Silver Laced Wynadotte
    - New Hampshire Red
    - Rhode Island Red
    - Deleware
    - Red star

There is also a possiblility of BO x BO but I already know what that is.
    I am the proud mommy to -

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm guessing the Buff orp is the rooster, right?

With a Buff Orp male crossed with both the SLW and Delaware you will get sex-linked chicks. The female Buff Orp/Delaware will be buff and the males yellow. You can find pics here: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

The female Buff Orp/SLW will be black with touches of buff around the head and neck, the male will be black with greyish white markings around the head and neck.

These are Buff Orp/Barred Rock chicks, but I think the Orp/SLW chicks would look similar.

Males:

[​IMG]

Female:

[​IMG]

As for the Buff Orp/RIR mix I hatched one of those out 2 years ago! Here he is:

[​IMG]

As a chick:

[​IMG]

I'm curious about the Buff Orp/Red Star mix. I'm planning on hatching out one this spring too. It would be great if you could post pics when they hatch! [​IMG]

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Love your roo, Ella!

4. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Pretty rooster there, ella. Do you still have him? Any babies of his?

ETA: I know this is an old thread just crusing thru old ones and seen this beautiful rooster.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wow, this thread is almost 4 years old! You had me thinking that Corey was back with us! Wonder where she is these days.

6. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I have a few chicks that are a RIR roo/Buf Orp hen cross that are roos. I hope they look like this roo, he is beautiful.

7. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:Keep us posted, I think they would be a great project to do, but rightt now I have so many pens to get built that I could not take on a project right now.

8. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I'll post some pictures as soon as they are mature. Right now the oldest are 11 wks old. But not to hyjack this tread it will be a new post.

9. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Got those pictures yet? I

It's been about a year and a half (almost).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by