Buff Orpington dead :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NinasNest, Apr 23, 2017.

1. NinasNest

NinasNest Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I have (had) 3 buff orpingtons and 1 americuana all about 1 yr 3 months. Let them out of their run to roam in the back yard. I came out to one of my orpingtons laying flat on her back! :( she was still warm on her back and there were no wounds or blood anywhere. There was a small puddle of water or saliva coming out of her mouth.. any ideas? They are all laying, mostly one a day or every other day.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sorry. Sometimes chickens just die for no apparent reason. I suspect heart attacks.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    So discouraging, but I agree with OldHenLikesDogs. They sometimes just die. Over the years, I have had them pecking and being normal, to be dead on the floor the next day. Some people talk about very old chickens, but while that is true for some birds, a lot of them are not real long lived.

Mrs K

4. NinasNest

Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Thanks y'all! She was a friendly hen so it's a little disappointing!

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    BO are my favorite breed. It's always upsetting to lose one. Most fortunately are long lived, so hopefully your other 2 will be around for a long time for you. Those unexpected young deaths are always a puzzle, but the do occur. Most of my hens live between 4-6, with a few living longer. I currently have two of my first BO who are 9 year old grandma's now. The one is my top hen who everyone respects, not because she's bossy, but because she is still a confident hen despite having arthritis in her feet. They are a great breed.

1 person likes this.
  6. NinasNest

Apr 26, 2016
    Texas

That's great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by