buff orpington down

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by prittybitty, Apr 14, 2009.

1. prittybitty

prittybitty Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    i just walked out to let hens out and one was on the ground. she is listless and her cone is turning purple. i cant tell if she has diareaha or just cant walk away when she relieves herself. i get four to five eggs a day sometimes 6 but not often. yesterday i only got 2 eggs. i have 6 hens and 1 rooster. can someone help me please?

2. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I don't know the answer, but search "purple comb" here in the forum and you will get several threads of people with the same problem, with various remedies & diagnoses suggested based on other symptoms.

I hope one of them will fit the description of the problem your hen is having. Good luck.

3. prittybitty

Aug 10, 2008
    THANKS
    MY PRETTY HEN DIED IN THE NIGHT. BUT WHEN I LOOK UP PURPLE COMB IT PULLS UP FOWL CHOLERA. BUT I CANT TELL IF ITS COMMOM OR RARE, OR IF THAT WAS EVEN THE PROBLEM. HER COMB WAS PURPLE AND SWOLE.

4. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    the Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow is a good book to have! Published by Storey Publishing.lymphoid leukosis, crd,paratyphoid, gout, tuberculosis. Necropsy recommended for flock health. Tylan injectible is your best blanket solution.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I could be heart trouble, as well. But watch the others...I'm so sorry.

6. prittybitty

Aug 10, 2008
    thanks tylan is something im seeing alot of. ill try that. if i can find a vet that will help me. why they dont treat chickens i dont know. i got this batch from ideal poultry out of texas this past fall. dont know if they could link it to heart problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by