Buff Orpington ducks!! Also, new member- hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by yuumari, May 23, 2016.

1. yuumari

yuumari New Egg

May 20, 2016
    hi! i'm new to BYC as a member but have been visiting the site a lot in the past couple months. i recently got 3 magpie call ducklings (Alice, female; Ziggy, male ; Eleanor, female!) that are about 5-6 weeks old i think. at the very most, 7 weeks. they were sexed by a vet. i also have 2 buff orpington ducks, both male- Monet and Milo.

i was wondering, Monet has a slightly purple bill. what is the reason for this? Milo's bill is bright orange!
    also, although Monet is a sexed male, on his head where his feathers are starting to puff out, they're the same color as the rest of his body. does the grey/green head come later in life?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Congratulations on getting your duck adventures underway :clap
    I'm afraid I'm not a duck person but I'm sure if you pop by the duck section the keepers there will be able to help you. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think in some breeds of duck, the bill color determines sex. Also male ducks tend to have one curled up tail feather. I have never heard of buff Orpington ducks, only chickens.

I would love to see a photo of them.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by