Buff orpington gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by carriebain, Dec 15, 2013.

1. carriebain

carriebain Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2013
    Lakewood California
    Do I have any reason to believe this 17 week old could be a roo? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    It LOOKS like a girl BUT Orps are notoriously hard to tell gender before fully mature. It just makes me nervous that "she" is so red and developed at 17 weeks. Hopefully the age is a guess and she's a little older.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  3. carriebain

Sep 19, 2013
    Lakewood California
    She could be up to a week older, but not much more than that!

4. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Hmmm, my older Orps didn't redden until 22 weeks and I have a couple 18wk olds that still have baby combs. I did end up with a buff orp rooster but I could tell by 10 weeks. He is almost 30 weeks old and doesn't have any sickle feathers but does have very nice saddle feathers.

I just don't want to tell you that "she" is going to lay eggs for you and you end up with an empty nestbox and an extra alarm clock.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Right now I think it is a pullet too...that is a really red comb for 17 to 18 weeks but the feathers at her saddle look like they are round and not spiky...she may just be precocious with the comb. She looks like she might lay early for you if that is the case....otherwise...he will start getting some spiky cascades around that saddle.

Here's a photo of my Buffs at about the same age...purchased early February so at 5/21...about 17 weeks...and one of them had a pretty red comb...she laid within a few days of this photo.
    Lady of McCamley

[​IMG]

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    For now, I'm going to say pullet, as the feathering and color (nice and even) is that of a pullet Buff Orpington. But that comb is really large and red...

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My guess for now would be cockerel, based off of comb size.

8. carriebain

Sep 19, 2013
    Lakewood California
    Well, I can hope for a early layer! Thanks everyone!

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm thinking late blooming cockerel, just on the fact the bird doesn't look at all feminine. It has that gawky, unfinished look of a cockerel. Look at the later pic of the hen, she's soft and rounded and feminine looking.

10. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I agree with Donrae, the more I look at "her" the more I think cockeral . Did they say why they were selling "her"? Do they other pullets for sale?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by