1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff Orpington has been squatting for 2 1/2 weeks??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MrOrpington16, Nov 27, 2013.

1. MrOrpington16

MrOrpington16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    MA
    So Annabelle has been squatting for 2 1/2 weeks! My youngest pullet ( a brahma) beat her in the first egg race. What the heck!!!?!?! Is this normal? What can I do... All of my pullets are laying, but her.

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Some of them just need time to get their body ready. It's like labor, some women are lucky and pop them out in one day whereas some poor women take a week in it to finally get it out. Every chickens body is different, who knows, when she does start she might become your best layer. If it happens for more than a month you might want to start looking for a nest somewhere, but until then don't stress.

3. MrOrpington16

Aug 28, 2013
    MA
    She just laid her first egg and it is huge!!

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Congrats!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. Katt66

Katt66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Barnesville, PA
    Good to hear. My Buff Orpington has been showing signs of egg laying for the past couple of days as well. I heard her singing the egg song day before yesterday and got so excited. No egg yet though. Silly thing. She IS quite interested in the nests though and follows the Leghorn and Sebrights and watches them go in the nest boxes and lay eggs. I think they are just a little later to mature maybe than some other breeds?

6. MrOrpington16

Aug 28, 2013
    MA

My barred rock layed the day after her egg song;) It will be any day now!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by