Buff Orpington hen (I hope)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Millerhenhouse, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Millerhenhouse

Millerhenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    This girl was brought home April 2 as a day old chick, though I suspect she was older. She's always been, even then, bigger than all the others. So now, at about 16 weeks of age, her comb is huge. But I still think she's a girl. No pointy feathers. . . right? I really don't know what I'm looking for; these are our first chickens. Take a look; I'd love feedback on whether she might be a roo and not a hen. It's just the comb that makes me nervous. We wanted 14 hens and so far, so good. The other 13 are pretty oviously hens. This one, "Big Girl," due to her size, has a comb that's rather tall and way out ahead of all the others.

Now I need to figure out how to post the picture.

2. Millerhenhouse

Jul 24, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(hope that worked) Here she is.

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    100% hen and your going to get eggs soon if you haven't already! Pretty girl! [​IMG]

4. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    I believe you cant post pictures when you are still a "new egg". But to post a pic just go to the top of the page and click on uploads. Then browse through your computer and select your pic. Then press upload. After a while it will upload and you highlight the bottom stuff and paste to your post.

I guess I was writing this while you posted. [​IMG]

But that is definately a hen. She is beautiful! And you can expect eggs soon. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Defintely girl. You should have eggs soon.

6. Millerhenhouse

Jul 24, 2011
    Thank you White Mountains Ranch. I'm thrilled to hear that from someone who knows what they're talking about because neither me nor hubby do. Her comb looked suddenly gigantic and flopped over this week and I panicked because I love her dearly. She's been my Big Girl for 16 weeks now and I didn't want her to be Big Guy.

For the record, hubby declared she was a she. And for the record, I guess he was right. (looking over my shoulder, he was highly offended at my comment above;))

We're looking for those eggs! None yet; it may be too hot. (Would that make a difference?) Anyway, thank you!

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Hens generally have smaller combs and wattles right up until they are ready to lay then poof they get bigger and redder (seems like overnight) right before they are ready to lay. [​IMG]

8. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Beautiful girl!

9. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Definitely a she!
    She looks a lot like my BO this is what you can expect by 9 months with a BO:
    [​IMG]

I got her and a PR to add to my younger flock and she actually has given me an egg everyday since I got her three weeks ago except for one day. She lays better then my PR. And they are good large eggs as well. Enjoy!!!

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Definately a girl! Hatchery type Orpingtons usually have bigger combs due to the hatchery not going by the standards like breeder's do. Egg production is the motto. Expect some nice brown eggs out of her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by