Buff Orpington hen not able.to walk.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sassione, Nov 2, 2015.

1. sassione

sassione Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2014
    Have a buff Orpington hen who can't stand up. Last night when I got home she was lethargic and when I picked her up her head just dangled. This morning I found an egg in the box with her. Tonight I brought her in the house and gave her some oatmeal and made sure she drank. Any ideas on what else.I should do?

2. Pyotr Koecher

Pyotr Koecher Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2015
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Hi Sassione! I also have a "disabled" Buff Orpington too, who just walks around with no apparent purpose. If I were you I would keep a close eye on it, and make sure it eats and drinks, as it may help itself.

Sincerely, Pyotr

3. sassione

Mar 9, 2014
    I have her inside in a tub right now. She is actually looking a bit better this morning and "talking" some. I have the water within reach and this morning gave her some oatmeal after I cleaned up her poop. It was white with a bit of dark green mixed in. I think I may need to give her a bath to clean her up a bit tonight when I get home. I have her in a bedroom because my puppy is just certain that she is his newest toy.

4. Pyotr Koecher

Pyotr Koecher Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2015
    Frankfurt, Germany
    OK Sissione. Just make sure you keep a watchful eye under her. If you give her a proper bath, make sure all her feathers are dry ( or better yet, put her under grow lamp ) so her condition doesn't worsen. Hope she feels better, Buff Orpingtons' are the superior chicken! :)

Sincerely, Pyotr

5. simon the hen

simon the hen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2015
    Looks like vitamin b shortage. Mix vitamin supplements into her food or force feed her some vitamin b complex

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  6. sassione

Mar 9, 2014
    I put vitamins and electrolytes in her water and fed her oatmeal. She is now in a dog crate in the coop and laying an egg a day. She seems to be totally recovered. Now to figure out how to reintrodu e her to the group.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by