Buff Orpington hen not able.to walk.

sassione

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Have a buff Orpington hen who can't stand up. Last night when I got home she was lethargic and when I picked her up her head just dangled. This morning I found an egg in the box with her. Tonight I brought her in the house and gave her some oatmeal and made sure she drank. Any ideas on what else.I should do?

Hi Sassione! I also have a "disabled" Buff Orpington too, who just walks around with no apparent purpose. If I were you I would keep a close eye on it, and make sure it eats and drinks, as it may help itself.

Sincerely, Pyotr

I have her inside in a tub right now. She is actually looking a bit better this morning and "talking" some. I have the water within reach and this morning gave her some oatmeal after I cleaned up her poop. It was white with a bit of dark green mixed in. I think I may need to give her a bath to clean her up a bit tonight when I get home. I have her in a bedroom because my puppy is just certain that she is his newest toy.

OK Sissione. Just make sure you keep a watchful eye under her. If you give her a proper bath, make sure all her feathers are dry ( or better yet, put her under grow lamp ) so her condition doesn't worsen. Hope she feels better, Buff Orpingtons' are the superior chicken! :)

Sincerely, Pyotr

Looks like vitamin b shortage. Mix vitamin supplements into her food or force feed her some vitamin b complex

Last edited:
I put vitamins and electrolytes in her water and fed her oatmeal. She is now in a dog crate in the coop and laying an egg a day. She seems to be totally recovered. Now to figure out how to reintrodu e her to the group.

Back
Top Bottom