Buff Orpington is acting lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elizabethd36, Aug 31, 2014.

1. elizabethd36

elizabethd36 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2014
    Hi guys!
    I have a five month old Buff Orpington who has been acting strange for the last month. She first started exhibiting unusual behavior last month when she would stay under the chicken house and not respond to being grabbed. A few days ago, I decided to isolate her in order to closely observe her. She let be grab her without running away and I noticed that her eyes were mildly swelled along with her right earlobe. Three days ago, she started closing her right eye and would only open it for a few seconds. She also starts moving her head a lot as if her throat hurts. The last two days she has kept both eyes closed for most of the day and only opens them for a second when you tap the cage or talk to her. She does spend some time eating and drinking water, but most of her day is spent laying down with her eyes closed. Today she also started panting with her eyes closed for awhile and moved her head around for a bit. I'm not sure what is wrong with her. I am feeding her a laying feed with water that is fortified with electrolytes, water, and probiotics. I don't know what to do next. Her swelling has definitely gone down, but she continues to exhibit lethargic behavior. What stands out to me so far is her right eye being closed and her head moving around. I also recall her eyes being a little cloudy. Have any of you experienced something similar?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may have a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG.) Some people will cull chickens with respiratory diseases since they become carriers, but if you want to treat her, Tylan50 injections or oxytetracycline in the water may be good to treat with. If she is not drinking well, and you don't want to do injections, the Tylan50 can be given orally. Dosage is 1 ml given as a shot into the breast muscle daily for 3 days, and if given orally give it for 5 days. Here is a good link to read about the different respiratory diseases--pay special attention to MG and coryza: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    poor hen,i am hoping for the best,good luck[​IMG]

4. elizabethd36

Aug 31, 2014
    Hello!
    I was thinking about giving her water-soluble antibiotics starting tomorrow. Thank you for the link! Respiratory diseases was definitely something I had in mind. I just read the back of the package for the antibiotics and it recommends 400mg/g. Thank you so much!!!!

5. elizabethd36

Aug 31, 2014
    Thank you arkansas55

6. elizabethd36

Aug 31, 2014
    I have another question regarding dosage. I may actually form a new thread regarding this. I have the duravet antibiotics for water and i read that 400 mg would be 1/2 tablespoon per gallon. However, my hen is only drinking about a quart a day. Since the quart is only 1/4 of the recommended gallon, would the new measurements be two tablespoons for the quart? I want to make sure she is drinking 400mg a day, but i also want to make sure I am not giving her too much. Thanks

7. elizabethd36

Aug 31, 2014
    Let me correct my last post. I meant 1/4 of the 1/2 tablespoons which would should be around 1/4 tsp with slightly less than 1/8 tsp, definitely not 2 tablespoons!!

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    When using tetracycline Durvet Duramycin 10 on a sick chicken, I would recommend using the 800 mg or maximum dosage since it is not the strongest of antibiotics. That dosage is 1 tablespoonful per gallon, so 1/4 tablespoonful for quart would be right.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  9. elizabethd36

Aug 31, 2014
    I gave her one-fourth of a tablespoon this morning (1/2 tsp with 1/4 tsp). While doing that, I took a closer look at her head and noticed she lost some feathers around her right earlobe. The skin looks kinda flaky. It isn't noticeable at all, but ill take a closer look today when I clean her cage. Thank you once again Eggcessive!!!!

10. elizabethd36

Aug 31, 2014
    Update: She has been standing up and panting with her eyes closed for awhile. Her wings are also droopy. She has been eating and drinking. Could she be hot? It is 90 degrees out, but the cage I have her in is shaded.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by