Buff Orpington just died in my arms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stewie's mom, Dec 23, 2011.

1. stewie's mom

stewie's mom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    Goldie was eating yogurt and mashed banana with the other hens and stopped and just stood there not moving. i picked her up and held her and she was breathing but acting kind of "out of it'. i got a syringe and put water in her beak and she drank it but her head kept falling to the side. i kept talking to her and she'd open her eyes for a second and then start to close them and her head would start to fall to the side again. I took her outside the coop and stood her in the grass and she would slowly fall to the ground. i checked her beak and nothing was in her mouth. Within a few minutes she died. I am besides myself trying to figure out if she choked or something else happened...she was fine before the yogurt.....
    She was 1 1/2 years old.....

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    You'll most likely never know what happened. Some folks choose to do an autopsy and look for any obvious abnormalities. I'm not sure I could do that however. I'm so so sorry this happened to you and Goldie. Watch the rest of the flock closely and hopefully it was something that only happened to her.[​IMG]

3. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Sorry [​IMG]

I Know what it feels like to have a chicken die in my arms.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. snooptwomey

snooptwomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    sorry for your loss. I am new to chickens, but you get attached to them and their personalities SOOO fast. I hope the rest of your chicken family is ok and doesnt have what Goldie had [​IMG]

5. Kate&Thad

Kate&Thad Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    I'm so sorry. So sad. Wish we knew what happened to her.

6. cochin_kookoo

cochin_kookoo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2011
    Ureka, CO
    I'm really sorry. It is always sad to lose a bird

7. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    [​IMG]

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm so sorry. So sad. [​IMG]

I'm sorry to get technical here but in trying to understand what happened I am wondering - did her comb stay red or turn blue-ish/purple-ish?

Again, I am so very sorry. [​IMG] Too short a life. I lost sweet hen Annie before her second birthday to what seems almost certainly to have been a heart attack. She loved life so much - it was and still is heartbreaking.

JJ

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  9. stewie's mom

Aug 6, 2009
    Her comb stayed pink...do you have any idea what might have happened????

10. stewie's mom

Aug 6, 2009
    when I was holding her, it was almost like she was falling asleep. I could rouse her by talking to her and very gently shaking her but then she would start to drift off again. She flapped her wings a couple of times like she was struggling and then she was gone. Afterward I was able to look down her beak with a flashlight and saw nothing but I wonder if some of the banana went down her windpipe.
    Thank-you for your concearn ...you are all such sweet people on this forum.... I have to go cry now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by