BUff Orpington lays a pink egg. Is this common?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SewingDiva, Jan 17, 2009.

1. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

I was kinda surprised, I thought they were brown egg layers She has a comb that is thick is at the base and sort of ruffly, not a straight single comb like our AuLorp. She does look like a BO otherwise and has a BO personality. The AULrop lays a medium brown egg and our EE that lays a light brown egg, so it's definitely pink compared to the other two.

Just curious!

Phyllis

2. oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    mine have never come close to pink. light to dark brown. that has to be uncommon!

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Phyllis, I've always had one breed at a time. Or at least, always over the last few decades. Now, I've got Australorps and Barred Rocks to compare. I've had both these breeds in the past and a couple of Buff Orpington hens.

I didn't have them at the same time but I thought that the BO's had the same color eggs as my little flocks of Black Australorps I had both before and after.

My thinking about comparisons has changed. I thought Barred Rocks had darker brown eggs than the BA's & BO's. Imagine my surprise when one BR began laying every bit as light an egg as I'd expect from those others. Then the other BR layed a mottled egg - brown & pink. She still does that now and then but it is usually brown.
    To add to my confusion, the BA's lay eggs that are darker than the BR's! I don't know whether it is a difference in birds or a failing of memory [​IMG]. Since I want to give myself as much credit as possible, I'll say that the birds are different. Within a certain amount of range, I think that egg color can vary widely in a breed.

Steve

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It varies. One of mine lays a pinky color, one a creamy color and one a very light tan color. All of those are still considered brown, though, just different shades.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by