Buff Orpington meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Popsy, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Popsy

Popsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2010
    Raymond, CA
    This is my 3rd year rasing BO's as meat birds. Last year they were ready to butcher at 23 weeks and dressed out between 4 - 5 pounds and were delicious. This year we are at 23 weeks now and they look big, but when I pick them up, appear to have very little meat on them. How long do most of you grow your multi-purpose breeds before butcher? Thanks!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I honestly find that quite a few multipurpose breeds take a while to fill out in the chest, which is where I like a lot of meat, so we use Araucanas (not the mutts from hatcheries) for early processing. Since they have no tails and a nice, upright posture - their chests fill out to a good size at just 21 weeks old, while our Marans, whom at first I was very excited for, still have time to go. They're mostly leg at even 24 weeks old.

But, for the normal dual purpose breeds, I wait anywhere from 24-30 weeks old.

btw, [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  3. Popsy

Sep 13, 2010
    Raymond, CA
    Thanks. I will have to wait it out a few more weeks I think. They are all roosters and are fighting and driving me crazy! I have 15 of them and have split them up in 3 groups to try to keep the peace. [​IMG]

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    For your next batch you might consider learning to caponize them. The result would be better meat birds and fewer headaches.

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    My favorite age for butchering so far is about 19 weeks. Yes they're smaller than what you buy in the grocery store (is that so bad?), but they have a good flavor without being tough. I have mostly only butchered roosters. They're usually 3-4 pounds.

There's a lot to be said for an older boys in soup or crockpotted also. The flavor is magnificent.

6. Popsy

Sep 13, 2010
    Raymond, CA
    Quote:Is it very hard to do? After tonight, I am ready to try to learn anything. I had some escape from their coop and started beating up the ones that I have by the barn. I was ready to get the 22 and take care of them right then and there! I hope I (and they) survive a few more weeks!

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    How to Caponize a Rooster instructions, but with graphic images. That thread makes it seem a lot more simple than it sounds, but I have yet to try it.

8. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    There is a member - Holly31 - who posts in the Where Am I, Where Are You? - Nevadans thread who is apparently quite experienced in caponizing. Her suggestion was to try it on some birds you had already "harvested" because you can kill one quickly if you nick an artery.

9. marceedee

marceedee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    Cheney, WA
    We butchered our dual purpose roosters at 19 weeks and they were 3-4 pound but mostly leg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by