1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff Orpington mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Evan27, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Evan27

Evan27 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2013
    Hello this is my hen roger , I named her before I found out she was a girl and the name just stuck haha. At first I thought she was a buff Orpington but her feathers are darker than an Orpington, I've heard from people she's a buff Orpington Rhode Island Red mix but I'm not sure[​IMG]

2. 94countrygrl

94countrygrl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2013
    she looks like a buff orpington to me, I have 2 of them and one has darker feathers the other lighter, i think its just slight color variations in feather color. either that.. which i think is right, or she could be a golden sex link! they look similar!

3. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I don't think it's a golden sexlink...I have one and it is way more reddish than that and has definite white tail and wing feathers. I had a BO also and she was more golden color and didn't have such dark head and neck feathers. I am completely stumped with this one. LOL I guess it could be a BO just with darker feathers. [​IMG]

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I think she's just a really poor quality orp. My buff orp x RIR were WAY darker than that, much more of a vibrant orange color with black in their tails and some had black in the hackles.

5. Evan27

Oct 27, 2013
    Ok thanks. She's still a pullet hasn't even laid an egg yet, she used to have dark brown tail feathers but my rooster pulled them out and not all of them have grown back yet

6. Evan27

Oct 27, 2013
    And I bought her egg from a breeder and hatched her myself

7. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

is he the same story down here? i guess we are in the same boat...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by