Buff Orpington odd shaped/shell-less eggs and now stopped laying

HennyPenny44

Songster
5 Years
Apr 3, 2019
Central New Jersey
My 2yo Buff Orpington has stopped laying eggs for at least a week. She doesn’t have nasal or chloacal discharge, no new stressors I know of and not molting because it’s Spring. Before this, for the last few months, she was laying a lot of shell-less eggs on the roost at night and all her regular eggs were very elongated with ridges on the pointy end. Just very odd looking eggs. All the other chickens seem fine so I don’t think it’s some disease in the flock. Could it be there’s something wrong with her reproductive tract and will this issue continue forever? Before this, she was laying very normal looking eggs.

Have you actually seen her eating the oyster shells?

Very possible there's something wrong with her reproductive system, if her eggs have always been off and she's now stopped. My BO always had a lot of meat spots in her eggs and she stopped laying completely early last year... still looks and acts like herself, just minus the not-very-good eggs.

Have you actually seen her eating the oyster shells?

Very possible there's something wrong with her reproductive system, if her eggs have always been off and she's now stopped. My BO always had a lot of meat spots in her eggs and she stopped laying completely early last year... still looks and acts like herself, just minus the not-very-good eggs.
I’ve seen her eat them in the past but it’s not something I usually catch my chickens doing. I just see the oyster shells getting depleted so I know they’re eating them. She didn’t always lay odd shaped eggs or shell-less eggs Only since about this winter. At first, I though it was due to the cold and her reproductive muscles being tense (something I read). But when Spring came and it was still happening, I knew it wasn’t that. I’m ok with her not laying again since she’s my sweetest chicken though I notice she doesn’t want to be held anymore since she stopped laying.

Back
Top Bottom