Buff Orpington or Buff Cochin??? Opinions please!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by karrint, Jun 6, 2011.

1. karrint

karrint Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2010
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I'd love some feedback!

So, I'm wanting to add one more girl to my flock, and I keep going back and forth between getting either a Buff Orpington or a standard Buff Cochin. I'd love to have both, but my flock is nearly filled up. AND, unanticipated, I just adopted a Silver laced crested polish that was way too sweet to turn away. Guilty...

I've read that BO's are basically clean legged Buff Cochins but are better layers. I'm wondering if this is true and what other BYchickers experiences have been with both of these two breeds. Thoughts please?

Anyone care to help an indecisive girl??? [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. karrint

karrint Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2010
    Anyone please?

3. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    I have never had Cochins, so I can't really comment on them.

I have blue, black, splash, and GL Orps - I only raise Orpingtons and I love them. They are definitely NOT a clean-shanked Cochin. I've heard other people say that and I just laugh. What specifically do you want to know about Orps?

4. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    First, [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I've never owned cochins before but have heard that they are sweet, great mothers who brood often, but aren't good layers. I've had buff orpingtons and they are sweet, great mothers who brood average, and awesome layers. I would go with orpingtons but that's just my opinion. [​IMG]

5. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    I have four Buff Cochins and one Buff Orp.

BUFF ORP.

The Cochins are cute but do not lay...I think EVER...and eat eggs. This is MY experience. My husband loves them, I thought they would be good for broody..NO. Not mine.

The Orp on the other hand, lays with regularity and went broody on me earlier this spring BUT did not stay that way for more than about two weeks when she realized, 'Hey, the lady takes my eggs every day!' [​IMG]

One more thing...if you live in an area that gets a lot of rain, the Cochins will have muddy legs with all of that feathering.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Cochins do not lay well I am told. Buff Orps on the other hand lay very well!!!

7. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i use to get eggs from both my orps and my standard cochins every day i love em both. edited to say standards lay very well but bantams do not.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  8. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    Our Buff Orps are good layers but they can be noisy birds. Also, one has gone broody twice in the past year. All that being said, I wouldn't trade them for anything!

Broody Pearl:
    [​IMG]

Doris (and Pearl's butt):
    [​IMG]

9. coldupnorth

coldupnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    N. MN
    I don't know about Buff Cochins, but my Buff Orpingtons are awesome layers (even in the cold Minnesota winters), calm and sweet. Oh - and beautiful!

10. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I started out with BOs. They are my first love. [​IMG] They lay well but as far as being broody it has been a total bust. [​IMG] The only broody I have is a Leghorn/RIR cross so go figure. I only have one BO hen left. We have had bobcat issues. But I have 40 plus chicks that are 13 and 8 wks old. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by