Buff Orpington or Buff Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by australorp_breeder, Jan 13, 2010.

1. australorp_breeder

australorp_breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    I have two 'Buff Orpington' pullets that I bought from feedstore back in March. I never took into consideration the foot color, and noticed a few months ago that one of them has a yellow beak, and yellow legs and feet instead of white. I would show you a pic, but Buff Orpingtons and Buff Rocks look almost identical. Both pullets look fully grown, and the one with the yellow is a tad bigger then the one with the white. Could she just not be purebred? Or do you think she got mixed with the Buff Orpingtons by accident and is probably a Buff Rock?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I'd bet she is a Rock..

Chris

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    ditto

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Same here.

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We have both here..Our Buff Rock is a bit bigger than the BO and she lays like a rock as well..a wee bit better [​IMG] We love our rocks here..in all the colors.

6. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    I'm going to give the place a call tomorrow and see if they've ever, by accident, received chicks mixed up in their orders. I still love my pullet regardless if she's a Rock or Orpington, but I wanted to know because it'd be nice to know in general. They both lay the same color and size eggs. Thank you everyone!

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    If the hatchery has both it would be such an easy mistake to make.You could always pack up the rock and send it to me [​IMG]

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Really- the rock is bigger than the orp? Does it have yellow legs?
    That's not the case with mine at all. Not to say I wouldn't mind a few more rocks though [​IMG]

9. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Here is a picture of her by the way:

[​IMG]

I would've posted it sooner but I didn't get a picture of her until today. And sorry, but she isn't going to anyone! She's my little pride and joy [​IMG]! Whenever I hold a container of food in front of her she'll jump up and peck it so it spills on the ground!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  10. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Buff Rock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by