Buff Orpington or Delaware?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FunOnABun, May 16, 2016.

1. FunOnABun

FunOnABun Out Of The Brooder

Hi there, picked up a couple chicks today to add to my existing flock of barred rocks. The brooder these two cuties came from included barred rocks, brown leghorns, Delawares, and buff orpingtons...I asked for two BOs and while I know one of them is, the second one is considerably lighter, more yellow (not the standard BO golden/copper), and has ever-so-slight hash markings on her emergent wing feathers...she doesn't look exactly like a Delaware but she also doesn't look exactly like a BO...since I have no experience with either breed, can you all help me out? If you need different pictures/angles, let me know.

[​IMG]
    Chick in question is on the right.

[​IMG]
    Chick in question is laying down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    It's possible that is a Delaware chick, they are a lighter down as this one is, and it does look like some barring in the wings. Delawares are one of my favorite layer breeds, the are excellent layers of lots of big brown eggs, and tend to have great personalities too if well-bred.

3. FunOnABun

Thank you, 1muttsfan. Not the news I was hoping for as I have read some not so nice things about the breed but your experience with them is encouraging. I have two very docile, gentle barred rocks and want an equally docile breed to increase my flock which is why I chose BOs.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I wouldn't necessarily call them docile - they are very social and friendly with people, active and excellent layers. I have not had issues with them being aggressive with other birds, although they can be assertive, and I always keep at least a few in my flock.

5. FunOnABun

I was referring to the BOs as docile. I have read quite a bit about Delawares being anything but docile so this one may be going back where she came from.

6. FunOnABun

Anybody else?

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Of those choices, I guess it would have to be a Delaware. I'd go ahead and swap her out now for another Orpington, if that's what you want to go with.

8. buzzkillkenzie

buzzkillkenzie Just Hatched

May 17, 2016
    Des Moines, IA
    2 of my Buff Orpington chicks looked exactly like the chick in question. Much lighter than the 3rd BO chick. They are 3 weeks now and still lighter but they are getting some darker gold colors now

9. FunOnABun

Thanks, I hope you're right. I showed the pictures to a coworker who has two BOs and she said one of hers is lighter than the other with faint "freckling" (for lack of a better term) so I'm hoping that's the case here too. Obviously not the best breeding stock regardless but I'm going to keep both chicks anyway and hope for the best. Who knows; if she does end up being a Delaware (or something else entirely), she could still be the best chicken in the world so no point in condemning her from the get-go. The wing feathers are not coming in white so I have that going for me.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Buff Orpingtons can carry dominant white, and every now and then a mostly white bird from hatchery stock will pop up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by