buff orpington or new hamsphire red??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mbhoakct76, May 22, 2010.

1. mbhoakct76

mbhoakct76 New Egg

Apr 18, 2010
    winsted, ct
    I purchased this chick as assorted reds , while a few are much darker and look like the common RIR, i have a couple that are much lighter colored. The bird in this pic is about 6 weeks old and i think more resembles a buff orpington, but i know reds come in different varieties and colors . So what do you guys think?? how about if its a pullet or cockerel. the other bird in the pic is the same age at about 6 weeks , looks like a golden laced wyandotte, any input on his gender. i know you cant see his comb to good.
    thanks in advance

[​IMG]

2. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    It looks like you have a buff orp cockerel, and a little bantam cockerel. I don't think it's a wyandotte, based on the greenish legs. But, I've got very little experience with wyandottes, so someone else will have to be the judge. Both boys, though.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Buff Orpington cockerel and the Bantam is a Golden Sebright cockerel.

Chris

4. Backyard_Chicken_rancher

Backyard_Chicken_rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeppers you got a Buff Orp I'm sure he may be a male but the only true way to tell is if it crows or lays an egg if it does they lay brown eggs. The other one not sure about I don't own any of those.

5. mbhoakct76

mbhoakct76 New Egg

Apr 18, 2010
    winsted, ct
    I looked up a pic of the Golden sebright and yup you guys are right. thanks for the input. as for my buff orp - I purchased 6 reds at TSC (tractor supply) and ended up with 4 of them looking like they are buff orps. I cant complain , the different variety of colors is nice.

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by