buff orpington or nor buff orpington?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kristiG, Apr 29, 2009.

1. kristiG

kristiG New Egg

Apr 29, 2009
    I have 4, 4 week old buff orpingtons pullets, well I have at least 3, I am wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what my 4th one is? We lovingly call her Henrrietta and we don't really care what she is, we'll love her just the same, but it would interesting to figure out why she is redish brown with black tips on her feathers and her "sisters" are purely buff in color. As you can seeshe stands out in the crowd. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Well, looks like you have a production red in there. You also seem to have a buff rock (the one with the yellow beak instead of white).

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I wonder if Henrietta might not be Henry?

4. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Henrietta looks like Henry to me too!

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    orps have white legs, what color legs do the bottom 3 have? The top is definitely not an orp, but would need a closer pic to guess gender...

6. kristiG

kristiG New Egg

Apr 29, 2009
    Ok, so I called the farm store where I purchased my Orpingtons and they said that the only other breed they were selling was the buff Brahma. She said they all come in one box and the staff sorts them. So chances are that some of the brahmas got stuck in with orpingtons. So... I'm hoping she's right. Buff brahmas are pretty birds! thanks for all your help guys.

7. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    yeah that one is a RIR, methinks.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Buff Brahmas have feathered legs so that is not one. Someone may have put a Buff Rock in with the Buff Orps at the hatchery. It's also not a RIR, IMO.

9. kristiG

kristiG New Egg

Apr 29, 2009
    yeah, I was looking at chick pictures of the brahmas and thats not at all what she looks like. she looked pretty much the same as the others when I brought them home, she was just a little darker but not much. I am wondering if she is a new hampshire red. They have black tips on ther feathers right?

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is possible it's a NHR; To me, it looks like a cockerel right now. The NH start out more yellow as chicks than reddish then as they get their plumage, it darkens up alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by