Buff Orpington or White Leghorn

thisjed

Chirping
Feb 21, 2017
Newark, IL
I'm new to chickens and am raising my first bunch now. I thought I had white leghorns until I was at a recent store and saw Buff Orpington babies and now I think they're Buff. The picture I have with me isn't the best - it's the three yellow ones on the top of the overhead shot. I'll get some better pics tonight. Also curious about the black one on the left of the straight on shot. Pretty sure it's an Australorp (no dot on her head). The two up close in the straight on shot are the ISA Brown and Rhode Island Red shown in the overhead shot - the two pics were taken pretty close to each other. Again, will get some better pics tonight. The store I bought them from was clueless on the breeds. For the others shown in the overhead shot - I'm pretty sure there are two Rhode Island Reds, two Barred Rocks, and one ISA Brown. Let me know if you disagree. Thanks for any insights.

Last edited:
Look at their legs. If the scales are yellow, they are leghorns. If they're more pinkish, then they are orpingtons. You may have to wait til they are older to be able to tell for sure.
It looks like you guessed the other breeds right to me... even if you didn't, you'll find out when they start getting feathers!

welcome-byc.gif

You probably won't be able to tell them apart til they start feathering. Because their feet are different but not at that age, it will become more distinct as they grow. Also I believe Leghorns mature quicker then BOs but you should be able to tell them a part once their wing feathers come in.

Last edited:
You probably won't be able to tell them apart til they start feathering. Because their feet are different but not at that age, it will become more distinct as they grow. Also I believe Leghorns mature quicker then BOs but you should be able to tell them a part once their wing feathers come in.
Silly question - any distinct differences I should look for with the wing feathers. This pic is a few days old already and they've changed a bunch even in just those few days - most notably the wings are starting to develop which is why I ask. Thanks!

What really caught me off guard today was how light yellow the white leghorn babies were - much more than the ones I brought home - then, I saw the buff babies and thought - oh man, I have buffs.

Silly question - any distinct differences I should look for with the wing feathers. This pic is a few days old already and they've changed a bunch even in just those few days - most notably the wings are starting to develop which is why I ask. Thanks!
Well BOs will have golden/buff feathering while leghorns will have white feathers.

Back
Top Bottom