Buff Orpington/Plymouth White Rock-When do they mature?

bjw113

Songster
13 Years
May 18, 2010
Pikeville, TN
We got a dozen each Buff Orpington & Plymouth White Rocks in late May 2010. They are approximately 9 months old. We got these two breeds as they were both large chickens. When do they reach full maturity? We have had to slaughter two of our chickens and they were quite small. I know they are slow maturing birds and we did not get them to be meat birds until they finished with their egg laying (2-3 years) but had a chronic egg eater who we butchered and a horribly mean rooster who maimed the hens. Would appreciate any insights and thoughts regarding this. Thank you.

If you are feeding laying ration to all of them, they might never bulk-out. A lot of layer feed is only 16% protein. Both are heavy breeds, and, at 9 months, should be full-sized. I had some young cockerels who stayed in with the hens, eating layer feed... they never put on any weight. But our birds out in the tractor eat bugs, pasture and flockraiser, and they get heavy quick.

-- edited to fix spelling

Last edited:
I ordered 5 BO (1-roo 4-hens) that arrived 6/6/10.
I dont have any experience with the the white rock.
The BO on the other hand can be be harvested at around 20wks. Im told rocks are ready about that time. The BO roo I butchered at 21 weeks wieghed just over 4lbs cleaned and dressed. That roo had small breasts but carried loads of meat in the legs and thighs. My hens didn't start laying until around 26wks. So they should be mature birds at by 9months.
You said you got them because they large breed and you were planning to use them for meat, eventually. Are you wanting to cull more roosters from your flock or was the one rooster that you butchered the only one you had?

If you want a meatier bird you should feed a high protien(20-25%) ration from a young age.

I go with a chick starter/grower ration for the first 4wks.(20% protien) Then a meat making ration for the next 12wks.(23% protein) At 16wks I divide the pullets from the roos. I keep the roos on the the meat maker for 4 more weeks and start the pullets on a laying ration. At week twenty I "finish" the roos with my own secret ration thats higher in fat and carbs. By the end of the twenty first week all of my roos (SLW, Delaware, BO, NHR) were pump and meaty.
droolin.gif
Yum!

If your looking to fatten up your hens, i too would like to some pointers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom