Buff Orpington pullets

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by playhousechickens, Oct 5, 2009.

1. playhousechickens

playhousechickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Olalla, Washington
    Two of my pullets are buff Orpingtons. They are about 4 months old now, so no one in the coop is laying yet. The one that is definitely a hen is a normal as far as I can tell. Very healthy, her comb is reddening, her feathers are filling in and getting fluffy. The one I have a question about is also healthy, filling in nicely, very pretty, but the comb is still very pale. It's taller and the neck feathers are little darker. It stays more alert. Legs are a little thicker. I'm worried it may be a cockerel, but it has no real defining male characteristics that I can recognize. Any help would be appreciated. I'm not sure how to post pictures to the forum, but they are on my page if you would like to take a look.

2. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:actually, all I saw on your page was an advertisment to "make your own power".

or did I click the wrong link?

meri

3. playhousechickens

Oct 5, 2009
    Olalla, Washington
    I just made the page, and I thought the photos would be up faster and I didn't realize someone would reply so quickly! I've uploaded pictures to my account, but it keeps saying there's an error on the page and will not let me post them. Standard newb issues I gues...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

You would know it if she were a he by now - I don't see a roo in those pictures [​IMG]

5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

both pullets [​IMG]

A roo would be definate roo - I had the same issue with a pullet (at about 5 months old) but once I stepped back and really looked at her, I could see it was a girl.

meri

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    those buffs are pullets

7. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    she is very pretty... I have two that look just like her and they are 22 weeks old

8. playhousechickens

Oct 5, 2009
    Olalla, Washington
    Yay! Thanks everyone. I've grown very attached, but live in a no roo neighborhood. Question answered.

Caira:D

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by