Buff Orpington Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Braclin, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Braclin

Braclin KY Chicken Farmer

Jul 5, 2010
    Owingsville,KY
    I have 15 hens that were bought as day old chicks from a hatchery. One has yellow legs and feet. several have black specks some larger than others in their tail feathers. Whats the deal??? [​IMG]

2. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    My Buffs came from a feedstore that I suspect ordered them from a hatchery. One of them also has a few grey tail feathers mingled in. I suspect that they are not quite the cream of the crop but as long as they lay me some pretty brown eggs I'm a happy camper [​IMG] Let's get to the bottom of this, shall we?!

3. Braclin

Jul 5, 2010
    Owingsville,KY
    Ordered mine through a feed store but they came from Mt.Healthy Hatchery.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Can you post a few pictures?

Yellow legs on a buff chick normally means that it is a Buff Rock, not a Buff Orpington.

As a side note, some Buff colored birds do have some black or gray smudges in their tail feathers that is referred to as "smut." It is not a disqualification, but a judge may place your bird lower if it has too much smut. Even the best Buff colored birds can have some smut in their tail feathers. That's why you see some breeders (especially silkie breeders) that refer to their Buff colored birds as "clear." This means that they have very, very little to no smut.

5. hudsonhousechicks

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    Acceptable smut? Hmmmm....I learn something new everyday here!!!! [​IMG]
    I definitely have one smutty little pullet running around my yard then.
    Thank you for explaining the coloring so simply. All kidding aside, it's much appreciated.

6. Braclin

Jul 5, 2010
    Owingsville,KY
  7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Mine have that, too. Some more than others. I ordered mine from Ideal Poultry and when I noticed it, I just thought they got dirty......Smutty little sweethearts....

8. Braclin

Jul 5, 2010
    Owingsville,KY
  9. hudsonhousechicks

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I refuse to show her face because I believe there is more than a slim chance that she is a he and I'd like to stay in denial as long as possible. My BOs have the smut too. They look like the original posters [op] birds.

10. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Yeah, all of those look like smutty Buffs. It's not too terrible, though. After their first molt, sometimes it gets better... but sometimes worse. Those with the worst smut (as in large streaks or large spots) should be not kept for breeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by