buff orpington/rhode island red cross

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dave3877, Sep 19, 2008.

1. dave3877

dave3877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2007
    crockett, texas
    i have juvenile buff orpingtons and rhode island reds. i want to cross them but im not sure of the outcome does anyone here have any experience or is there an actual breed that these 2 make

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ..a Red opington?..or a Buff road..??...[​IMG]...sorry..i have no clue..heres a bump up..Wendy

3. dave3877

Sep 16, 2007
    crockett, texas
    yeah i was thinking - red orpington lol. but i doubt the standards would accept it lol

4. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    I have some of these. I have a RIR roo and 6 Buff Orph hens and they come out looking like a slightly darker Buff Orph. I need to take some pics of them sometime. Mine are about 6 weeks old now.

Jayare

5. dave3877

Sep 16, 2007
    crockett, texas
    well as it stands i have r.i. reds buff orpingtons barred rocks and sicilian buttercups. im curious about what i can frankenstien up with these guys. im really curious about a barred/ buff orp cross too. teh buttercups id like to cross with another colorful breed maybe Araucanas . i am lucky enough to have cocks and pullets of all the above minus the araucanas

6. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    I also have a hen that I hatched out from a Black Australorp Roo and a RIR hen. She is black and has red/brown neck feathers. She is a very pretty bird. I have her in with my RIR and BO hens with a RIR roo.
    I think I have figured out which eggs are hers and have 2 of hers (I hope) in the incubator due to hatch on the 8th with a bunch of my green EE eggs.

Jayare

7. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    someone else posted pics of a br and bo cross, and the results were gorgeous (I thought). I want to make some of those, once I can figure out which eggs are from my bo hen. I'll see if I can find the post for you.

8. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Speckledhen had some of those crosses that she loved. I hatched some three years ago and they were ginger colored and very friendly. Built similar to Orp and layed very well. I gave an entire flock of them to my mother and she loved them.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, I did, from Bama Chicken's stock of big beautiful RIRs and Buff Orps. Meg here is from Bama's RIR rooster and one of the BO hens. She is my heaviest hen.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

EDITED TO ADD: My DH adores Meg and we would have hatched more of her cross this year if Julie hadn't already separated the Buff Orps out of the RIR pen. Meg is a sweetie.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  10. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, Meg is beautiful, Cyn! Is she as sweet as a B.O.?
    Sorry, I guess you did say she is a sweetie. Duh?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by