buff orpington/rhode island red cross

dave3877

Songster
12 Years
Sep 16, 2007
crockett, texas
i have juvenile buff orpingtons and rhode island reds. i want to cross them but im not sure of the outcome does anyone here have any experience or is there an actual breed that these 2 make

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
..a Red opington?..or a Buff road..??...
gig.gif
...sorry..i have no clue..heres a bump up..Wendy

dave3877

Songster
12 Years
Sep 16, 2007
crockett, texas
well as it stands i have r.i. reds buff orpingtons barred rocks and sicilian buttercups. im curious about what i can frankenstien up with these guys. im really curious about a barred/ buff orp cross too. teh buttercups id like to cross with another colorful breed maybe Araucanas . i am lucky enough to have cocks and pullets of all the above minus the araucanas

Jayare's Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Aug 25, 2007
Florence, Alabama
I also have a hen that I hatched out from a Black Australorp Roo and a RIR hen. She is black and has red/brown neck feathers. She is a very pretty bird. I have her in with my RIR and BO hens with a RIR roo.
I think I have figured out which eggs are hers and have 2 of hers (I hope) in the incubator due to hatch on the 8th with a bunch of my green EE eggs.

Jayare

cjeanean

Can't Decide
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Missouri
someone else posted pics of a br and bo cross, and the results were gorgeous (I thought). I want to make some of those, once I can figure out which eggs are from my bo hen. I'll see if I can find the post for you.

BamaChicken

Orpingtons Bama Style
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
Speckledhen had some of those crosses that she loved. I hatched some three years ago and they were ginger colored and very friendly. Built similar to Orp and layed very well. I gave an entire flock of them to my mother and she loved them.

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Yes, I did, from Bama Chicken's stock of big beautiful RIRs and Buff Orps. Meg here is from Bama's RIR rooster and one of the BO hens. She is my heaviest hen.
DCP_8882.jpg
DCP_8883.jpg

EDITED TO ADD: My DH adores Meg and we would have hatched more of her cross this year if Julie hadn't already separated the Buff Orps out of the RIR pen. Meg is a sweetie.

Last edited:

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom