1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff Orpington/RIR cross Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sarahpageharris, Jun 28, 2016.

1. sarahpageharris

sarahpageharris New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    Wanting to verify my thoughts? Pretty new to this entire chicken thing! Please let
    Me know your thoughts on this breed!

[​IMG]

2. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    first of all [​IMG] and second of all he's handsome [​IMG]

3. sarahpageharris

sarahpageharris New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    Thank you! I think so as well! He's a great roo. We call him Foghorn Leghorn. Or Fog for short[​IMG]

4. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    he looks a litttle like my roo not much though

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

He's a handsome fellow for sure!

Not BO/Red cross, though. That cross makes pretty much solid orange birds, sometimes with the black tips and tail, with white legs. They'd also be more rounded and fluffy like the Orp.

This guy has some barring or cuckoo in his background, you can see that on his saddle fathers. He's also got dominant white. When you look at him, mentally change the white to black, that's his actual base color I'm betting. Dominant white turns black "off" and makes it white, but the black can still be hiding underneath so to speak. He's a nice hefty guy, he could have some white Rock (which tend to carry dominant white that can mask barring),maybe some barred Rock?, and something Red in the background, along with who knows what else. Parent breeds were straight combed and yellow skinned, that's about as far as I can narrow things down.

He's really very pretty. I bet he'll make beautiful babies, you'd have a really unique flock.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  6. sarahpageharris

sarahpageharris New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate the information!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    No problem.

Birds like him are one reason I have a hard time settling on a purebred breeding project. I mix my breeds and come up with some of the prettiest birds, like him, and I love it! I mean, good pure bred birds are a beautiful sight to behold, but I think I'd get bored if all my flock looked the same.......or just like my neighbor's.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    beautiful roo

9. whitefire91

whitefire91 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2015
    [​IMG]

Here are my buff orpington Rhode Island red crosses. They are beautiful and well-tempered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by