When I was a brand-new, baby chicken keeper, I picked out chicks at TSC which included 2 Buff Orpingtons. This is what they grew up to be:
96C3ED92-2B99-4706-B4BD-328B949320DA.jpeg

Decidedly not Buff Orpingtons.

This is a fun thread :lol: I love English Orpingtons (my favorite breed in the whole world), but agree about the hatchery buff ones. I have a couple of these fluff balls:

1653587486009.png

and it's a little annoying when people look at them and say "OMG your Buff Orpingtons are gorgeous!" or when I post a picture somewhere and somebody asks what breed that is, and before I have a chance to respond on my own post, somebody else jumps in thinking they know better, and says "it's a Light Buff Orpington"... um WHAT. It's not a buff, and since when are there light ones and dark ones? 🙄😄

This is for anyone who hates buff Orpingtons to rant about them. This is strictly BUFF Orps. Not Orpingtonss in general. Though I don’t mind if you rant about all orpingtons. ;)

But if you like most Orps, just not buff, you are welcome here too.

If you are a buff Orpington LOVER do NOT come here and get angry or call us stupid for hating buff Orps. I’m all for bickering. But if you wish to argue about why buff Orpingtons are great please make your own thread and tag me in it. I will even link it in this post for others who want to bicker.

If you love buff Orps this is not the thread for you and go show your love for those vomit Orpingtons in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/calling-all-buff-orpington-lovers.1408941/

Now don’t be fooled. I don’t hate all Orpingtons. Just buff Orps and hatchery Orpingtonss. Buff Hatchery Orpingtons being the worst of both worlds. I would die for a English lavender cuckoo Orp, or and English Blue Laced, Or really any English Orpington that isn’t buff. Especially if they are @ColtHandorf ‘s English Orps. :drool

***Adding Buff Orpington Rant to Beginning Post***

My complaints about Buff Orpingtons:
  1. Solid Buff is UGLY. Not just on Orps. But on all breeds in general.
  2. I HATE when people call their Buff Orpingtons “buffs“ “buffies” “buff” “Buffy” etc... Orpingtons aren’t the only breeds that come in buff you know. :rolleyes:
  3. I HATE HATE HATE. When people are looking for breed recommendation and people say “Buff Orpingtons” why not just say “Orpington?” The color doesn’t change the breed you know.
  4. The common hatchery Orps have ZERO fluff. Orpingtons are suppose to be a fluffy breed but instead you get skinny non fluffy things that look like this 🤮: View attachment 2577065
  5. They are way overrated. Too much hype for what most people call “Buff Orps“ are really just hatchery production birds far from what an actual Orpington should be.

My Avatar is a rather fluffy Cackle Hatchery BO hen who is still laying eggs at 5 years of age. I have always enjoyed having them around myself but to each their on.

This is a fun thread :lol: I love English Orpingtons (my favorite breed in the whole world), but agree about the hatchery buff ones. I have a couple of these fluff balls:

View attachment 3124536

and it's a little annoying when people look at them and say "OMG your Buff Orpingtons are gorgeous!" or when I post a picture somewhere and somebody asks what breed that is, and before I have a chance to respond on my own post, somebody else jumps in thinking they know better, and says "it's a Light Buff Orpington"... um WHAT. It's not a buff, and since when are there light ones and dark ones? 🙄😄
This is a most fantastic fluffy bum.

View attachment 3124536

😍😍😍

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's not a fan of buff colored birds (or red for that matter), but my oldest son is obsessed with buff and red colored chickens so we have a few of them. I would love to get my hands on some English Orpingtons, but alas I had to settle for a hatchery Jubilee Orpington. To my surprise though she has a rather lovely fluffy bottom and looks like she is hiking up her petty coat to show off some fluffy bloomers when she runs😂

Back
Top Bottom