Buff Orpington roo on Cuckoo Marans sex linked questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenmama22, Sep 17, 2012.

1. chickenmama22

chickenmama22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    I incubated eggs from a Buff Orpington roo on Cuckoo Marans hens. Only one hatched successfully and I would like to know if it's a girl or boy. Here's what he/she looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Has anyone done this type of cross? I have read that it's sex-linked; I've searched all over the byc site and haven't found anything about what the cockerels vs pullets look like at hatch.

Thanks in advance!
    Nancy

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

You are positive that it is fathered by the orp and mothered by the marans?

3. chickenmama22

Aug 29, 2007
    Yes, quite sure. Buff Orp roo, Cuckoo marans hen. It looks a lot like the offspring of a Cuckoo Marans roo on Buff orp hen. The chick's face looks like the BO, but with a dot on the head. The fuzz has a black "undercoat."

I didn't mention that the 2 chicks that pipped, did so at the middle of the shell and seemed to be upsidedown in the shell (breach?) with huge tummies, too. The other hatchling's yolk was protruding and didn't survive. I've made some temperature adjustments, so hopefully the next batch will do better.

4. chickenmama22

Aug 29, 2007
  5. aoxa

6. aoxa

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  7. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    it has a white spot on its head, so its a male. It looks similar to my barred lemon blue chicks

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  8. chickenmama22

Aug 29, 2007
    Thanks!

I think it's interesting that when I hatch pure Cuckoo Marans, the chicks all have a spot on their heads. I tell the males from females by the color of their backs -- the black ones are females and the grayish ones are males. I *thought* I'd know by the dot on their heads. Granted some of the pure Marans chicks I raise have yellowish dots and some have white ones, but I haven't paid enough attention to see if there's a connection between dot color and gender.

That chick is starting to get some feathers. I'll wait a few more days and take a picture. Maybe that will help. :)

9. LAFreewayChickens

LAFreewayChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I would guess the dot color difference is gold or silver gene. (There as gold and silver CM). You could theoretically use it in a (red) sex-linked cross, but it would be hard to get a reliable read on such a small area. Plus you'd have to be sure the roo was homozygous for gold.

That said, if you have a gold CM roo (he'd have gold on his hackles: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Marans/GoldAndSilverCuckooMaranPs.JPEG), and (only) silver cuckoo hens, you could keep track of the relationship of dot color and sex. If the roo was homozygous for gold, the girls would have yellow spots and the boys would have white spots. If you established that was consistently the case, you could use it to sex at hatch. (In addition to size/shape of spot).

10. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Silver Or Gold is not expressed on Extended black background, any cream or white regions found on E chicks(Extended Black) including the headspot(barring) is only representing the delayed migration of aumelanoblasts not an expression of S or s+

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by