1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff Orpington Roo or Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sheepnchicks, Nov 3, 2015.

1. sheepnchicks

sheepnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2015
    My 10-year-old son bought a couple chickens back in August. One is a Buff Orpington and we have no idea what gender this chicken is! It has a small comb and wattle. It hangs out with our rooster all the time and we see them fight. Its very bossy. Its obviously big enough to crow but no crow and no eggs. It lets my kids pick it up. Doesn't fight them. Its about 6 months old I believe. Its also a very large chicken.[​IMG]

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Rooster-I think. The comb and wattles do look small, but…the feathering...

3. sheepnchicks

Nov 2, 2015
    The feathering has had me thrown off. The feathering has changed a lot over the last week and that pic is from yesterday. That has me leaning towards a rooster but the fact that it doesn't crow and I've never seen it pay any attention to the hen and the small comb and wattle has me lean back towards hen.

4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    This is a tricky one. [​IMG] I'm going with rooster though based on those saddle and sickle feathers I see coming it. My guess is that he is just a late bloomer and will start crowing soon. Oh, and [​IMG]

5. sheepnchicks

Nov 2, 2015
    Thank you! Would anything keep a rooster from crowing?

6. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    No doubt about it. He's 100% rooster. He will start crowing eventually. There are "no crow" collars that you can get but I have no experience with them so I'm not sure how well they work.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
  8. sheepnchicks

Nov 2, 2015
    Sorry, when I asked what would keep a roo from crowing, I mean, this rooster is very large and I've never heard a peep from him. Why would a rooster this large not be crowing by now? Between the small wattle and comb and no crowing sounds we assumed it was a hen til recently. The saddle feathers and extremely largeness led me to think maybe a roo? We have a Black Ausralorp roo about the same age and he's been crowing for a good while now.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Cockerels usually begin crowing from 4-5 months, but sometimes one will take considerably longer, and on rare occasions, it can be nearly a year.

10. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    A rare possibility-Hermaphrodite. It does happen occasionally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by