1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff Orpington Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brooster, Dec 30, 2007.

1. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I have a Buff Orpington roo. He is very pretty, and i love to hear him crow. But he is too cocky. My mom cant go to see the girls because she says he looks like he is going to jump on her. He always "gets" the girls when i am about, and i always charge at him because i dont think you are supposed to let them do that in front of you. Last night he didnt even let the girls eat first, he shoved them aside and ate, but picked him up and yelled at him. I am giong to get some bantys next year, and i think he would kill them. What should i do, i wont kill him or eat him, i can give him to a lady who has chickens, but he wont get good care there. Should i try to give him away on this site, but no one want a dumb roo. [​IMG]

2. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    How old is he? When they are young they are not so good with hens but as they get older from what I understand they get better!
    Good Luck
    Cristina

3. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    He is only eight months old.

4. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    any one else?

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    He is young and going through a phase..I would work with him. He's trying to figure out where he fits into this flock (including you and mom). Start getting him off the roost and carry him around a little each night while you rub his wattles and talk nicely to him. Have mom do the same. Set him back on the roost gently and stroke his tail. He may move away, but walk out quietly and let him stay calm. Showing aggression to a roo often puts them on the defensive and they feel they have to protect. Unless this roo is from poor breeding, good buff orps are generally very gentle. I've yet to find one I couldn't work with. I have had a few when they get into the juvie age and sometimes a little later, get feisty. Every one I have kept and worked with became my buddy. I wouldn't give up hope just yet.

Jody

6. chicken crazy

chicken crazy Out Of The Brooder

Sounds to me like he thinks he is the leader of this whole pack.[​IMG] You need to re-establish yourself as the leader. I will be getting some roos in May 2008 and so I was looking on the net since I heard so many horror stories about keeping roos. This link I found should help. I know its long but very good valuable information. Make sure that you are consistent if you do follow the sites information!!! [​IMG] Good Luck![​IMG]

http://shilala.com/roosters.html

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    You may find some helpful info on my rooster page link in my signature line

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by