Buff Orpington Roo's?

confusedturtle

Songster
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Virginia
I have been looking in my area for some Buff Orpington chicks, I thought I had found one but the lady hasn't emailed me back yet. I was just going to buy a pullet but a friend suggested I try to buy a roo too, she said they are not as "vocal" in the mornings as many other breeds. Is this true? She has no chickens but says a family member had chickens and Orp's were her faves because they are friendly, quiet and excellent winter egg layers. Also I was wondering if they would be alright in an area that gets pretty warm (hampton roads, va)? I know they are larger birds and I wouldn't want to get one and have it die in this heat. Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

I don't know about the roos but my Buff Orp hen is the loudest of my gang of four when it comes to the singing of the egg song. She is, however, very pretty. They aren't the best birds in the heat, but that doesn't mean they are going to die. Just make sure they have access to shade. There are lots of ideas on here about how to keep your flock cool in the summer such as ice in the water, frozen liter bottles of water set around the run and coop, misters etc...

Oh no they are pretty loud?
sad.png
I saw them on the breed page and it said they were quiet, docile, friendly... They are trying to change the chicken laws where I live but as of now its a no-no so I need quiet ones. My neighbor said she will never turn us in and the only way they make you get rid of them is if there is a complaint so if they are too loud others might complain, maybe I will just wait on getting an Orpington for now. Thanks
smile.png

Well, I think that some have different personalities. Also, I must add that mine is a hatchery BO and may have a different temperament than a BO from a breeder. Perhaps finding a breeder and talking to them might be more illuminating. There is a BO thread on here somewhere...

welcome-byc.gif

Rooster temperament has more to do with the individual bird than the breed. My BO roo isn't exactly what you would consider to be a sweetheart. He was very close to becoming someone's dinner during his demonic teen stage.
barnie.gif
It took a lot of work to get him where he is now. He is still not a "lap bird". As for crowing.........he could shatter glass! He crows from morning til night. They need shade and lots of cool water on hot days but I have not had any with heat related health issues (or any other illnesses for that matter). I give mine a pan of water to stand in to cool down.

I don't want to put you off Orpingtons because I still love them. They are the dumbest birds I have ever had and without doubt the most entertaining. Their legs are much faster than their brains.
gig.gif
The seem to be the hungriest too. They are also beautiful.

Oh no, you are putting me off on the breed, I might just reconsider them at this duty station. I would still love to have a few and I did finally get ahold of the Orp lady in my area so hopefully I will have one. When hubby gets restationed we plan to buy a house in a more hen friendly area and I will get a few with roo's as well, but here I will have to limit it to possibly just one. She has not sexed hers yet so I plan to study the pics I can find of them and try to make sure I am getting a hen and not a roo for now. Thanks for all of the great info
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom