Buff Orpington Rooster Standard

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kidsbme3, Oct 12, 2013.

1. kidsbme3

kidsbme3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Forsyth County, NC
    Need help picking our final rooster for the flock. Easter cockerels so 6 months of age, which one is closest to breed standard?

Roo A "Big boy"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roo B "Blondie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bird C
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I am not a Buff Orpington breeder, but I do show chickens and know a thing or two about judging birds. IMO, Bird C is best. Blondie's coloring is rather light (Buff Orps are supposed to be a rich golden color), and "Big Boy" is rather dark--almost approaching a red color.

3. kidsbme3

Apr 17, 2009
    Forsyth County, NC
    Thank you for your opinion! Having the darnedest time figuring out the "breed" slandered for this age group. We have started our flock with hatchery chickens. Not the best by far. But being as how we can not find any other breeders close to our location... We thought we would start here and try to improove later on. Do you think that the combs are too big or the legs too long? Keep in mind that these boys are 6 months old.

4. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, this is what I think:

All of the roosters are clearly hatchery-quality. Not the worst that I've seen, but not up the the standard. But since you can't find any breeders nearby, then I suppose you'll just have to work with what you have.From what I can see by the photos, they at least have good size, and reasonable coloring, though the coloring should be more even throughout the body. The legs aren't particularly long; nor are the combs too large. What (if you have any) do your Buff Orpington hens look like? I would pick the deepest bodied, most evenly colored hens possible for your breeding program. That should at least help improve the type of any offspring.

If you do manage to find a breeder, I would either start over with show-quality birds, or cross in the best possible birds to your hatchery line. Good luck! The Buff Orpington is a beautiful breed to start with.

5. kidsbme3

Apr 17, 2009
    Forsyth County, NC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As unbelievable as it may seem out of the 29 chicks (we dressed out the worst looking ones) we got last Easter this is the only hen. We now have 25 month old pullets in the brooder cage. She is light but how about her stature?

6. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    She is more hatchery-quality than the rooster in terms of type and color. Stance and depth of body are pretty good, but the tail should be fuller.

7. kidsbme3

Apr 17, 2009
    Forsyth County, NC
    RATS! Well hopefully we will get lucky with this new batch. Until then I plan on trying to visit some shows and continue looking for breeders within our state. Thanks so very much for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by