1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff Orpington Rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Abril1127, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Abril1127

Abril1127 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2015
    Tx Panhandle
    Hi guys. My first post. I am new to backyard chickens, been at it for 3 months now. Just figured out my first 3 chickens were actually roosters. Teach me to buy them at a flea market. (ya I know) So I bought 2 more from a farm that had them sexed and now I'm thinking I have yet another rooster.
    Can you help me sex both of these. One is a buff orpington and the other is the pretty one I got from the flea market that I'm pretty sure is a rooster but wanted ya'll to help me confirm it.
    Thanks so much for the help. I hope I start doing better at this. I'm only allowed 4 chickens in the city.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Both are cockerels - sorry.

1 person likes this.
  3. Abril1127

Aug 20, 2015
    Tx Panhandle
    Is it the comb that makes you so sure on the Buff? Trying to learn

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  4. bbhorsefly

bbhorsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2015
    How old is the Buff? My BuffOrp boys had red comb and wattles by about 5 weeks. My pullet still has a flat pale comb at 8 weeks. I've been told by Orp experts that a pullet will be getting her comb and wattles closer to 16 weeks.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Agree they're both cockerels.

how old is the buff? I'm going off a large red comb for the apparent age, plus the leggy, gawky look. He's also got the start of saddle feathers and sickle feathers, those are male traits.

6. Abril1127

Aug 20, 2015
    Tx Panhandle
    He is 5- 5 1/2 months. I was told he would start laying at 6 months in September.

7. bbhorsefly

bbhorsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2015
    IMO, I don't see any evidence that your Buff is a cockerel if she is 5.5mo. There should be definite saddle feathers and hackles. And she should have a comb and wattles like that at her age from what I understand. Orps mature slower, but my 15 week old EEs have serious saddle feathers. With the coloring, you'll have to just check the saddle area. I've seen pullets that age with combs and wattles that size. But again, it would depend on when they came in. Are they are more recent addition, or been that size and color since around 6 weeks old?

8. Abril1127

Aug 20, 2015
    Tx Panhandle
    We just got the buff. We picked one of the larger of the group and on the way home it dawned on me that that was a mistake!

9. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    Are you sure it is five months old? It looks younger to me, but if it's actually is the correct age it is probably a pullet. Your flea market bird is definitely a cockerel :)

10. Abril1127

Aug 20, 2015
    Tx Panhandle
    That's what the man said. "they won't lay eggs until they're 6 months old, that will be in September"
    Here are some close ups of the saddle and neck feathers. Thanks all for your help. I only get 4 chickens and I hate to waste it on a rooster.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by