1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff? Orpington? rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by plantlady, Dec 6, 2009.

1. plantlady

plantlady Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2009
    Wheat Ridge, CO
    [​IMG]

This is Mesmer. He hatched the first week of June 2009, and this picture was taken in October 2009. At 6 months of age he already weighed over 6 pounds and by the looks of his feet, he's still got some growing to do.

He cock-a-doodles all day, and often makes a funny "eeerrrgh" sound afterwards. Having been raised since chick-hood, he will sit on your lap/be held/etc. He has also been known to attack dogs and certain people, especially men. He is now the great protector of my two hens.

Anyway, for a long time I thought he was a Cinnamon Queen but I started looking around more, now that he's older, and he looks an awful lot like an Orpington to me (it was a friend of mine that thought perhaps Cin. Queen but he was way younger then). Maybe a Buff Orpington? What does the "Buff" mean anyway? Does it refer only to color or to something else? Also haven't seen any Orps with black feathers like that. His neck ruff gets HUGE when he's ticked off, but I don't have any pictures of that yet.

Thanks for your help!

2. prancie

prancie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Alabama
    He looks like a BO roo except maybe for the tail. I'm not sure though because my BO roo has darker tail feathers, but they are not black at all, just dark gold. And yes, the "Buff" refers to the color.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Was he hatched from Cin Queens, because tha's what I was think when I saw the pic that he was from a cross of a Buff Orp on Golden Comet or Cin. Queen hens, that cross would result in black tailed Buffs (like your roo) and white tailed Buffs. So I say he's from that cross. And Buff is what that yellow color is called.

4. plantlady

plantlady Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2009
    Wheat Ridge, CO
    Quote:He was hand-hatched from a farm in Wyoming, and I don't know what kind of birds they had, unfortunately.

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Hes NOT a purebred BO roo. Roo he is, pure hes not.

I would say he looks like a BO / sex link cross.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    BO cross.

Pretty roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by