Buff Orpington Roosters Personality

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Flybybirds, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Flybybirds

Flybybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    I have three Marons, Two Buffs, One Rhode Island Red, One Easter Egger. They are all now finally laying. However there is some aggression sometimes and thought if I got a rooster maybe he would keep them in line. Is this true? I have access to baby Orpingtons and wondered if they would be my best choice. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    My BO rooster helped a little, not majorly. But he is nice to have around for other reasons! Personality depends on the bird and the birds father - aggression gets passed down. My dude as minor anger issues, but nothing I can't handle. :)
    And
    I can't help it, here is my boy!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Flybybirds

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    Cool looking bird. Here is my Easter Egger Roo. I am thinking about putting him back with the flock If I can't find a Buff or Lav Orpington Roo.
    Only bad thing is I only have one Easter Egger Hen if I ever wanted to incubate the eggs.
    [​IMG]

4. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    You could do cross breeds, unless you plan to show. I think EE and BO cross would be adorable. :)

5. Flybybirds

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    That sounds so cool. Maybe I will set the rooster in with them. I had two very young Buffs and I took him out since he was bothering them. Now they are laying and I feel pretty secure in introducing him to his flock again. He is not aggressive, at least not to us. We shall see. Wonder what the chicks would look like. I don't show and now have a broody hen so I could try it out. Since this hen has started to be broody, will she ever stop? Thanks

6. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    She will. How long she stays broody depends on her. She'll stay until she gets chicks, until you break her broodiness, or she decides to give up. I'd nest her on fake eggs, (or real eggs, just not the ones you intend to set.) for a week maybe to see if she is a true broody.

7. Flybybirds

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    Sounds really good I will try giving her eggs. Yesterday we introduced the Rooster to the flock and it was really easy. Couldn't believe it. I thought I would wait until he breeds the Buffs and my Easter Egger Hen, and Maron hens. Then choose two eggs of each kind and see what happens. I believe I should know if they are fertile within 10 days. I can't introduce more eggs right?

8. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I would think not, if you set them under her 10 days later then the rest broody hen would have to sit 10 days after the first chicks hatched, which she might not do.

9. Flybybirds

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    This is my first rodeo with my broody hen. I have incubated and hatched many parrots of all kinds. Wasn't ready for this hen so now another learning experience. LOL! Guess since the Roo is getting along with all the hens but one I'll for go the Buff Roo for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by