Buff Orpington sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jenndera, Aug 22, 2014.

1. jenndera

jenndera Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Mantua, NJ
    Here are 2 chickens about 5-6 weeks old each.

I am not sure if it's too early to tell but I figured maybe someone could help me out by taking a look at the pictures of their crowns. Is there a better way to determine for this breed? I know silkies (the only other breed I've ever had) you can determine easily by the crown.

[​IMG]

(Nevermind it's only letting me post one picture-so I'll take your opinions on this one haha)

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    So far so good! Small comb. Could change. Like you said, it may be too early. A picture of them standing (at an older age) will be helpful!

3. jenndera

Aug 15, 2011
    Mantua, NJ
    Thanks! Will update with a better pic in a week or 2. The other chicken (the picture that wouldn't post) looks the same. Comb might be even smaller.

1 person likes this.
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that its too young to tell. However, there aren't any obvious rooster signs at the time, so you may have a pullet.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

6. mamahenAtlanta

mamahenAtlanta Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    My six week BO is very obviously a rooster--his comb and wattle are much larger than that and red. Comb turned reddish at 3 weeks and now it's getting larger and redder every day! I think that yours looks like a pullet by the comb size and color in your pic. In my flock of 6, I only have one BO so didn't have any others to compare him with. I suspected at week 3 but no denying it now. I'm so sad--I can't keep a roo but still holding out that maybe he'll be quiet LOL. He is SO handsome and sweet too.

7. jenndera

Aug 15, 2011
    Mantua, NJ
    I have the two BOs and they are soooo sweet. They let my 3yr old son pick them up. I have 4 "Easter eggers" and they want nothing to do with a toddler lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by