Buff Orpington Standards

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Menmyrc, May 14, 2010.

1. Menmyrc

Menmyrc Songster

Mar 3, 2010
    Maricopa, AZ
    I have 30 BOs straight run. They are hatchery birds, and I know that they aren't "quality" birds like one would get from a breeder. I did it this way because I wanted 30! I chose BO as a dual purpose bird. I would like to do my best to improve the birds I have. Most roos will be going to the freezer, but I will keep one or two to "repopulate" my flock. And I will be looking for better stock every couple years to bring in new DNA. I don't know how many times one can breed in a line before defects start to show up.

Can anyone advise me as to what to look for as a good "keeper?" Especially in a good roo? They are 10 weeks old now. I am beginning to pick them up and trying to find the ones with the widest backs, stockiest legs, etc. What else should I look for? What about color? Is dark preferred or a lighter color preferred?

I already have the runty ones and the slowest to feather ones tagged as "goners". I'm also trying to determine who will be a nice boy to the hens, but I know their personalities can change once they are no longer one of 15!

Any advice is appreciated!

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:I can't really advise you as far as the standard, I'll let a breeder do that, but I want to tell you not to be too quick to lable the slow feathering ones as goners, I have found that as long as they are desent sized birds, the slower feathering ones usually end up haveing better type and a better tail set than the rapid feathering ones. I actually usually lable the rapid feathering BO roos as goners cause while they may looke better as young birds when the others are at that weird looking stage, I have always been disappointed with the looks and type of the rapid feathering BO roos that I have grown off. Same way with BCM and Speckled Sussex and most all the breeds that I have worked with now that I think about it.

3. Menmyrc

Menmyrc Songster

Mar 3, 2010
    Maricopa, AZ
    Thank you for that - there is actually one *very* slow feathering roo that I am watching. He, even at 8 weeks old had only pins down the middle of his back and fuzz on the rest of his back. Poor boy was picked a bit because of it, but his feathers have finally begun to grow in. I see what you mean about tail set in him. His tail is nice and upright. One roo that I initially liked because he was sweet and a dark gold has a tail that actually sags down, even more than the pullets. I'll keep watching them!

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yep those long sagging tails in the young BO roos are usually what I cull against becuase they never look right to me when them mature. With Orpingtons especially I have found that the ones that are really nice sized but look a bit akward up until they mature are usually the best ones as far as type and feathering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: