Buff Orpington - What's wrong with her

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PineCone67, Sep 27, 2016.

1. PineCone67

PineCone67 Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2016
    My Coop
    Hello,

One of my 10 month old Buff Orpingtons appears a bit 'under the weather'. Symptoms first appeared on Sunday:

- pale comb
    - generally slow to move about, lethargic almost

Yesterday I notice she is not able to produce the usual cluck, cluck, cluck, CLUCKAAAAAWWWWK! sound. Did not lay an egg since Sunday but does not appear to be egg bound (walks normally but generally slow if she decided to move).

Here are the few pics from today:

(compared to her healthy pal in the background)

[​IMG]

(on her own)

[​IMG]

Remedies taken yesterday:
    - dust bath in diatomaceous earth
    - garlic cloves added to the waterer

Not sure what else to do at this point but to observe. Any ideas?

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    I would isolate her from the others also give her vitamin and electrolytes and make sure she is eating and drinking well hopefully someone will know whats going on good luck [​IMG]

3. PineCone67

May 19, 2016
    My Coop
    Updating this thread after a long silence. She is back to normal in terms of behavior, with two exceptions. One, the color of the comb is still not quite there (when compared with the other one); and two, there are no eggs. Not sure what to think of her, really, I have noticed at some point that she is, in general, a bit slower to get to things, does not jab at food as quickly as the other one. seems not well coordinated sometimes. So maybe there is something deeper going on there but, oh well, I am not going to eliminate her just because she does not produce eggs. Maybe eventually, we will see some!

4. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Is she able to cluck normally now or is she still not talking?

5. PineCone67

May 19, 2016
    My Coop
    She is more less clucking all right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by