Buff Orpington X Barred Rocks - from SpeckledHen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cuban Longtails, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    These are turning out to be pretty birds. I'm thinking about breeding the girls to my blue orpington (that I believe is a cockerel) to see what I get. [​IMG] This is not all of them, just the ones I was able to catch with the camera. [​IMG] They're from SpeckledHen's Hawkeye (barred rock rooster) and her buff orpingtons, Ginger and Sunny. The blue orpington is from Suede and Velvet, also SpeckledHen's.

Boy (I think)
    [​IMG]

Girl
    [​IMG]

Girl
    [​IMG]

Girl (the one in front had a gold/red colored face as a chick, the one in back had the lighter buff colored face)
    [​IMG]

Girl & Blue Orpington
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
  2. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Interesting, I believe if you had it the other way around by using a BO roo and a Barred Rock hen they would be sexlinked.

3. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    You'd be correct, sir. I'm wondering if the barring on the female crosses will give me sex-links when I breed them to the blue male. I'm trying to get blue barring.

4. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I'm not sure but I have two 5 week old chicks that are a cross between my BO roo and either my BLRW or SLW.I just hatched some eggs at random and I wish I had more knowledge of what was crossed but they are a buff color with a light lacing or barred pattern.I won't know until they get all of there adult feathers but they are very pretty and they have rose combs like the wyandotte.I may have stumbled on to something here.

5. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    They sound beautiful, you should post some pictures. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
  6. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I did last weekend but I can't remember what thread it was on.I'll see if I can find it.BTW the picture was taken last weekend and they have grown like weeds since then.
    Here you go
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  7. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Here's another one

[​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Tara, they're like Barred Rocks with gold undertones, very cute! How are their personalities? Are they friendly?

9. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    scgamecock - those look beautiful! I must have missed your original post since I'm not on the internet during the weekends most of the time. I'd love to have a buff barred bird also and it looks like you've got something close there!

Cyn - They're personalities are great, even without me handling them as much as I'd like they're not flighty. I can sit among them and they'll gather around like it's nothing new. I think the orpington and rock combination is a good mesh. [​IMG]

10. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Thanks and I can't believe how much they have grown in one week.I have two BO cockerals that were born with them and these two are larger than they are.I think it may have something to do wiht them being hybrids.If they turn out ot be one of each I may try to breed them together to see if the barring will get better.I guess I have some learning to do about genetics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by