Buff Orpington

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mayflower17, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Mayflower17

Mayflower17 New Egg

Jul 30, 2013
    Hello my fellow chicken lovers!! I have 10 Buff Orpington birds. They are just over 4 months old. I'm having a hard time telling which are hens or roosters! Can anyone give me some advice? Also wondering about my Americauna? Are the roosters all the same color?Thanks, Laura

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, you could post some pictures![​IMG] I'm sure that I, or some other BYC person would be happy to help. Look for birds with stringy, pointy feathers near the tail and on the neck. These feathers mean that it is a male. Rounded feathers in these areas signify a female. Also, Buff Orpington hens tend to be one even shade of color. Males tend to have varying shades of buff throughout their bodies. Females will also have smaller combs than the males.

All purebred Ameracauna roosters of one particular variety will be the same color. However, I am going to assume that you have Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers are crosses that contain some Ameracauna, but do not have a true color pattern. If you got yours from a hatchery, or from a Tractor Supply Store, they are almost certainly Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers can be any color pattern, whereas purebred Ameracaunas can only come in Blue, Black, White, Blue Wheaten, Buff, Silver, Wheaten, and Brown Red. So, the answer to your question is, Ameracauna roosters can be any color.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  3. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    About 3 month old BO rooster
    [​IMG]
    About 3 month old BO pullet

4. Mayflower17

Mayflower17 New Egg

Jul 30, 2013
    Here are some pics of my Buffs. The 2nd last pic I know is a rooster, he crows, lots!! The rest don't crow but are quite agressive.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All are roosters. Sorry!

6. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    X2

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, all the buffs you posted are roosters.

8. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    All roosters.

9. whitt910

whitt910 Out Of The Brooder

Agreed all roo's [​IMG]. I have 10 buff's too and out of them I got 2 roo's they started getting bumps on their legs where the spur are growing and they got the combs way before the girls did. I swear the girls were so ugly until they got their combs. It was like they didn't have combs for like ever and then overnight they all had them.

10. meme69

meme69 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    Birmingham uk
    [​IMG] hi, I'm new to chickens and I too would like some idea of what breed and sex I have just acquired, if anyone could help please. I have put a pic of the first one I will get one of the other in a mo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by