1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff Orpington??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hen and Halo, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Hen and Halo

Hen and Halo New Egg

Sep 27, 2014
    East Texas
    Found: Chicken that I am guessing could be a Buff Orpington? Very docile, clean skin and feathers, no injuries that are visible and comfortable being approached and picked up.

My first concern is disease. I don't want to bring this chicken near my darlings regardless how sweet and beautiful it is, therefor it is quarantined. Secondly, I noticed when it swallows, the crop shifts dramatically to the right. What's going on there?! And Lastly, I am uncertain of this breed? I have guessed Buff Orpington? Any guidance is much appreciated!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  2. Farrier

Farrier Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2014
    I don't *think* that's an Orpington. The tail angle and colour looks wrong to me and he almost looks like he has two tone feathers (although he could be sun bleached). I would also expect an orpington to be more roundish in shape. I have no idea about the crop thing though. If it eats alright maybe it isn't a problem? I'm definitely no expert though.

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She doesn't look like a purebred Buff Orpington to me, since the color and body type is wrong. May be a Buff Orpington mix, or another mix. It can be hard to tell what breeds go into a mixed breed bird.

Disease is definitely a concern with her, and any new bird. You're doing the right thing by quarantining her. Keep her in quarantine for at least two weeks, keep observing for further symptoms, and only introduce her into your flock when you're positive she seems healthy. I don't think the crop movement is abnormal.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    X2 That is not a buff orp

1 person likes this.
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

That's a mixed breed hen. Good idea on the quarrantine.

1 person likes this.
  6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X4 on mixed breed hen.

1 person likes this.
  7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Mixed breed hen.

1 person likes this.