1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff Orpington's 2 years old and NEVER been broody?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by creedf1, Mar 23, 2013.

1. creedf1

creedf1 New Egg

Mar 23, 2013
    Herm Island
    Hi this is my first post. I am looking for advice please. I have 4 hen Orpington's and 1 boy Orpington. They have just turned 2 but have never been broody and are fairly poor layers. I would like to hatch chicks but with out a brood hen?..

Thank you in advance

Fiona

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, creedf1, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I have no clue what to do with a hen that won't go broody. I have had the opposite problem with my Buff Orps - can't stop them from going broody! You might type in a search in the BYC search bar - like 'hen won't go broody' or something and see what pops up. Good luck to you!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Are they all in good health, checked for worms or mites? Do they get enough protein in their food? Any of these could cause the poor laying,. Are you sure they are Orpingtons?

Did you get them as chicks or full grown? Maybe they are older than what was said.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

5. creedf1

creedf1 New Egg

Mar 23, 2013
    Herm Island
    Thanks for your replies. They are on mixed grain and layers pellets which I was advised was perfect. They are disease free and mite/worm free. I've had them from 14 weeks and are defiantly Orpingtons. I know this is really strange as Orpingtons are known as a broody breed! :)

6. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from Kentucky[​IMG]!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by