1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks...boys or girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrsaudacious, Mar 23, 2012.

1. mrsaudacious

mrsaudacious New Egg

Mar 23, 2012
    I am the proud new owner of 5 Buff Orpingtons and 5 Barred Rocks. They are about 3 weeks old and I'd like some help figuring out if they are boys or girls. This is my first time with these breeds.This is them as a group.
    [​IMG]

And here is BR # 1
    [​IMG]

BR #2
    [​IMG]

BR#3
    [​IMG]

BR#4
    [​IMG]

BR#5
    [​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated.

2. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    Welcome to BYC and Congrats on your chickies!!

I expect that the little BO which you see the right eye of in the picture is a boy, based on his slightly larger comb and his dominant stance. The one (left eye facing photographer) next to him, I'd expect to be a boy and the two with their heads down and eating are pullets, as is the one by the water. Most of my identifying at this age is based on how they are acting by your 'threat' with the roos being more watchful.

Using those same guidelines, I think I see 3 BR roos, but I think the BR's can be figured out with coloring, and you will probably get a more educated answer than mine. [​IMG]

Of course, at this age, there is room for error in the guessing...

Have fun with your little darlings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by