Buff Orpingtons from Murray McMurray

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BarredBuff, Dec 22, 2010.

1. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Hey guys and gals. Its about time to order next years chickens! I cant wait! What do you know about McMurray Buff Orps? Did they lay good? Were they large? Were they broody?
    THANKS BARREDBUFF

2. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    Yes, yes, and yes. I received 25 Buff Orpingtons from Murry McMurry in 2008, they are fat, laying (of the 15 that I kept, they laid 12 yesterday.)and lord do they like to go broody.

3. BarredBuff

Dec 6, 2009
    Quote:YAY!!

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I started out with some. They were awesome birds, even though some had smutty tails. They reached their full beautiful "orpiness" at about 1 1/2 years old. A few did go broody and were good moms. If you just want girls to use as layers and yard candy, hatchery is the way to go. If you want to breed or show or sell them I'd go with breeder birds, but then you'll have a mess of roosters to deal with too. [​IMG]

5. BarredBuff

Dec 6, 2009
    Quote:I am aiming for Self Sufficiency with my flock. Thats why I want Buffs for the broodies........ [​IMG]

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:I am aiming for Self Sufficiency with my flock. Thats why I want Buffs for the broodies........ [​IMG]

If you do go with hatchery birds, have them throw in a couple Cochin girls. They get along great with Orps and then you'll be guaranteed some broodies.

7. BarredBuff

Dec 6, 2009

If you do go with hatchery birds, have them throw in a couple Cochin girls. They get along great with Orps and then you'll be guaranteed some broodies.

I thought about cochins, but the thoughts of muddy and wet feathered legs about makes me sick. Plus I want some good layers too.....

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I got some Buff Orps from McMurray last year and yes, yes, and yes. They are quite large, most of them went broody at least once, and they're excellent layers of big eggs (when they aren't broody, LOL).

Here's a couple pics of my Buff Orps from McMurray...
    McMurray Buff Orp on the left, Cackle GLW on the right! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

McMurray Buff Orp... Oh my! Where did those come from! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Looks just like my Bio-Bator [​IMG]

10. tennboy1

tennboy1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2014
    My BO from Murray is a good sized puller at one month old so far. She follows me everywhere :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by