1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff orpingtons....male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by collie1470, Mar 26, 2016.

1. collie1470

collie1470 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2015
    Wilton, ME
    We have 7 Buff Orpington chicks we got from TSC who are now about 2 1/2 weeks old.  One already has a pretty prominent comb and some red....just wanted to get thoughts on what they all may be.  I know it's still early, I'm mostly just curious to see if you all have the same guesses as I do.  I'm listing them by the color of the zip tie around their leg.

Black
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Red
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Purple
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blue
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

White
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yellow
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Green
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gizzyntaz

gizzyntaz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2015
    So far they all seem like pullets... Some mature faster than others. We thought we had a Roo scare several times with our nine hens and they are all girls. Enjoy them! Orpingtons are beautiful birds!

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Do some of them have white feathers in the wings, or is it just the lighting?

4. collie1470

Jun 5, 2015
    Wilton, ME
    Just the lighting. Some do have lighter feathers, but they're all buff [​IMG]

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They are still too young to guess. Orpingtons can be slow to mature, so if any start turning pink in the comb by 10 weeks old, those would be the cockerels.

6. collie1470

Jun 5, 2015
    Wilton, ME
    This one's been making me nervous lol. But, they were straight run, so I'm expecting quite a few boys. (This is the chick labeled red) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by